Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Checkout chat

This interaction took place in the grocery store as I was purchasing ice-cream.

Checker (giving change): Thank-you. Oh that reminds me, I have ice-cream at home. I'm going straight home when I get out of here to eat the whole gallon. I've been in a foul mood all day and that will make me feel better.
Me: You could go to a yoga class instead. That may shift your mood without the calories.
Checker: But that would cost money.
Me: You could ask the teacher to reduce the fee to the cost of ice-cream, say $5? Less guilt the next day. Sorry for the lecture.
Checker: That's fine, I probably need it!

Afterthought: How much better it may have been simply to empathize with the checker in the moment and drop a line to the store asking if checkers could sit down to work. The yoga lesson was for me, not her, that's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment